Nice weather means it's time to fire up the grill. To enjoy dining al fresco any time, make your kitchen grill-ready with essentials for your pantry, fridge and freezer.
Stock up now on fresh meats and produce, as well as cool drinks and frozen treats to keep you outside and grilling all season long. The best part? Your backyard barbecue doesn't have to be expensive. For inspiration, try these grilling favorites from food stylist and loyal ALDI shopper Janice Stahl, who saves up to 50 percent by shopping at ALDI:
• Create a sophisticated summer dinner in no time by placing raw salmon, fresh lemon slices and a mix of chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil and red onion on a piece of aluminum foil; seal it to create a packet and throw it on the grill.
• Use a teriyaki marinade to add a kick to your chicken breasts and step up your grilling game with bacon-wrapped beef filets or marinated pork loin.
• Put a spin on the classic burger with Alaskan salmon or ground turkey patties.
With these simple tips and recipes, you'll be ready to show off your grilling expertise at any time. Visit www.aldi.us for more ideas.
Hawaiian Turkey Burger
$1.86 per serving at ALDI.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 burgers
1 pound ground turkey or ground chicken
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup red pepper, minced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch rings
1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rings
1 green pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch rings
4 hamburger buns
4 slices pepper Jack sliced cheese
• Beat egg in a bowl. Add ground turkey or chicken, oats, crushed red pepper, parsley, salt, pepper, minced garlic and minced red pepper.
• Mix together until incorporated. Divide into 4 even patties, flatten and let sit in the fridge for 5 minutes.
• Mix together mayonnaise and BBQ sauce. Set aside.
• Heat grill to medium/high temperature. Place patties on the grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes each side until desired doneness.
• Brush oil on slices of pineapple, onion and green pepper, then grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
• Lightly grill the bun and set aside. Spread both sides of the bun with the mayonnaise BBQ sauce.
• When burger is almost finished cooking, place 1 slice of cheese on each patty and continue to grill until melted.
• To assemble the burger, layer the bottom of the bun with the patty with cheese, pineapple, onion, green pepper and top half of bun.
Grilled Avocados with Vegetable Relish
$1.16 per serving at ALDI.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon iodized salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
2 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
1/2 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
1/2 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
Crushed red pepper, to taste
1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
•Preheat grill or grill pan on medium-high.
• In small bowl, combine lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
• Slice avocados in half, and remove pits, leaving skin intact. Brush lemon juice mixture onto flesh and skin side of each avocado, to prevent sticking on grill.
• In small bowl, toss tomatoes, bell peppers and onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
• Grill avocados flesh side down, 1 to 2 minutes until dark grill marks form. Flip and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more. Grill remaining vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until charred and tender.
• Place avocado halves on serving plate. Transfer remaining vegetables to food processor. Add crushed red pepper. Pulse gently to form chunky relish.
• Top each avocado half with vegetable relish, sprinkle with feta cheese. Drizzle with remaining lemon juice mixture.
Italian Summer Kabobs
$1.50 per serving at ALDI.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Stacey, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
2 onions, cut into eighths
1/4 cup Italian dressing
14 ounces Italian with sundried tomato sausages, cut into 1" sections
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced into 20 pieces
20 large toothpicks or small skewers
• Marinate onion petals in dressing for 20 minutes. Skewer 2 onion petals and a sausage onto toothpick. Grill until sausage reaches 165° (approximately 5 minutes). Add a chunk of mozzarella to each skewer; serve.