On the evening of May 9, local residents packed into the South Pittsburg city meeting to express their discontent about several recent issues.
In a meeting that lasted for an hour and a half, tensions ran high as several citizens addressed the mayor and commissioners about the extensive police activity that took place around Moore Park on the night of April 29, the closing of the city pool, and several other areas of concern.
In regular business:
- Gene Vest was appointed as the new City Administrator
- Commissioner Samantha Rector made a motion to allow Carolyn Case to return to her previous position of employment as a clerk for the city.
- The low bid of $269,000, offered by Armand Construction Company, was accepted for the city water intake stabilization project.
- The Army Corps of Engineers, TVA and TDOT met with Mayor Virgil Holder recently, and will come back with recommendations in 2-3 months.
- The 2017-2018 budget has not yet been finalized.