Smoke began to fill the Subway located inside the Scottsboro Walmart causing employees to call the fire department. At 12:35 Jan. 5, Scottsboro Fire Department responded to a bystander's 911 call.

According to Fire Chief Gene Nicklaus, a minor electrical fire originated on the roof of Subway.

"A small fire inside a heating unit on the roof of caused smoke to fill the Subway," stated Nicklaus.

There were no injuries reported.

Workers at the subway noted that they smelled something burning, similar to when a heater turns on for the first time. After the smell persisted, and smoke began to fill the location 911 was called and the Scottsboro Fire Department was notified.

Walmart was temporarily evacuated for the safety of workers and customers as the fire department responded to the incident.

Damage from the fire appeared to be minimal and localized to the roof.

Operations of both the Subway location and Scottsboro Walmart returned to normal after the Fire Department left the scene shortly before 2 p.m. on Tuesday.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.